Three reasons to practice for your interview questions

By Scot Herrick | Job Search

Aug 18

Most pundits, including me, will tell you that you need to practice for your interviews before going on them. Even if you have gone on several interviews and think you have all the interview questions down cold, you should still practice.

There are three good reasons to practice for your interview questions.

Practice gives you confidence

No matter how often you’ve done interviews, nor how high up the corporate food chain you go, interviews are different then meetings, conferences, or networking events. Interviews make you nervous. And nervousness comes across badly in interviews even though it is completely understood by the person doing the interview.

Practice, on the other hand, ensures 80% of your answers are completely natural (I made that number up, but you get the idea). The other 20% is about making sure the answer fits the current position and specific wording of the question.

You should know your job skills, motivations and how you best work. By practicing questions in those areas, you will confidently get your point across without thinking too much so you can concentrate on the nuances of the question.

Practice helps you tell your interview stories

Interview questions need strong interview stories to help the hiring manager really hear your strengths. Subscribers to the free Cube Rules News found out why these powerful interview stories make a difference.

In a choice between simple answers to interview questions and answers demonstrated through powerful stories, people who tell the powerful stories will draw the attention of the hiring manager.

Practice prepares you for the unique components of this position

Going through the job description is often boring — and boilerplate. Yet, many job descriptions have one or two lines in them that are not standard. Plus, they aren’t covered by your standard interview questions.

Going through the job description and identifying more unique requirements gives you the opportunity to build answers to the interview questions — something your competition probably won’t do.

Practice won’t make you perfect

Practice, as all athletes know, is not the same as a game situation. But practice is done so that when the game starts you can think about the game, not the plays. It’s the same with interview questions — practice allows you to focus on the hiring manager and the questions, not trying to figure out a good answer from the great number of possibilities from your work.

  • […] force you to create answers instead of providing practiced answers to interview questions (which I advocate, by the way; practice does make […]

  • […] interview questions. Half the time, we are all over the board with our answers. And when we practice answering interview questions, we don’t know how to […]

  • >